Lichfield, St Mary (The Hub)
In 1670 Richard Keene cast a new ring of six bells at a cost of £68-9-7. These bells were cast in the Cathedral Close and hung in the newly-rebuilt steeple of St Mary’s. Eight new bells were cast in 1726 by Abraham Rudhall II (tenor 19.1.18) although the tenor proved unsatisfactory and was recast eight years later and hence the current tenor’s weight is only approximate. After the tower was rebuilt in 1868-70 the bells were rehung in a new wooden frame by Mears in 1875. They were rehung and quarter-turned by James Barwell in 1908 and recent work has been carried out to rehang them individually on ball bearings as funds permit. The main part of the church was converted for use as a Heritage Centre in 1980 and now houses The Hub.