Five bells are known to have existed in 1553. In 1698 a new 23 cwt. ring of eight was cast by Abraham Rudhall and augmented to ten in 1827 by Thomas Mears. In 1740 Henry Bagley III cast a large ‘funeral’ bell of some 35cwt. The bells, including the hour bell, were recast to produce a new ring of twelve by Gillett & Johnston in 1911 (their first complete ring of twelve to be followed by Coventry in 1927, Croydon in 1936 and Halifax in 1952) who also provided a new single-tier metal H-frame. They were rung for the coronation of King George V after a silence of three years. The front eight were rehung in 1977, the tenor in 1985 and the remainder in 2000.